Thursday, March 19, 2009

Detachment

We have possible layoffs next year at my elementary school. I am facing a possibility of a layoff or reduction in hours. While I had hoped the nice little job I have could be a good way to finish out my teaching career, I have to face the fact that that may not happen. There is a lot of drama right now about the budget. I have done all I can go at this point to make it clear what eliminating technology at our school would do so I trying to let go of the drama and accept what happens at this point. I am tuning up my various resumes (I have one for tech teacher, one for classroom teacher, and one for software engineer) and setting up and checking different job sites. It is hard but it does feel much better to detach from the drama and stress and to accept some uncertainty and the possibility of change. I am not always sure I beleive the old adage that what was meant to happen will happen but it does feel like perhaps it may be time for a change, if that's the way it works out. I do tend to get bored after 5-7 years in one job.

1 comment:

John Heffernan said...

Update: I was told today that I am likely to be cut to 80% in the worst case but that it was also likely in any case. Anyway, that is far from the worst scenario and I may be able to pick up 20% in another school in our district.